Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Adventures …chapter 3 ….When Speed Dating + Online Dating Collide

Last night was my second try at Speed Dating and this time, we brought a third female friend/co-worker with us since we’d enjoyed the last event so much...ya kow..share in the fun! We arrived at the selected venue about 40 minutes prior to the event start time...ordered an appetizer with a happy hour house drink…I had calamari and a martini, not bad. After laughing and joking with the bartender and his bar friends, we made our way to the “holding area” to sign-in for the dating. I was slightly concerned because at the first speed dating event, one or two of the gentlemen had contacted me and the exchange never had any closure so I was a teensy bit apprehensive on how I would handle the “I emailed you but you didn’t email me back” conversation. I figured if I’d attended last month, maybe these individuals would also. Needless to say, there were one or two repeaters there.

This is where "the online dating scene" made it's way on stage to the night festivities… in a good way. For about two/three weeks I’ve been in constant communication with one of the gentlemen I’d met online…ONLY phone conversations, mind you, but we had not had the pleasure of meeting “face-to-face” yet. So, en route to the event, a spontaneous meet-up was scheduled for that evening, to take place after the speed dating was done. Well…while waiting for the dating to start, I noticed a “want to avoid” Repeater. We’d both shown interested in each other and he’d seemed so cool at the meet-up but somewhere along the way, his perceived arrogance and “hot and cold” act turned me off….our short reign of communication ended …weirdly.

Ok, so, during the time my friends and I were waiting, Online Interest was sending me text messages, letting me know where he was in the process of our meet-up. It was when I spotted the Repeater I had my “Ah ha! …I know how I can avoid what I knew would be an awkward situation” moment!! I could time it where, before Repeat got to my table, I would leave the event to go out and talk with Online interest!! Online Interest showed up right on-time and proved to have been honest in his representation of himself. The face-to-face meet-up went very well and I was pleasantly surprised about that. So…>_>...Brilliant plan, right?! YA DARN RIGHT IT WAS BRILLIANT!! Not only did I circumvent the “Repeat Meet”, I also got a chance to see the voice and personality behind the Online Interest. And it was all good. *smiling….

I did return to the dating event, albeit with lackluster, and finished out the last three/four rounds left of “switch”; by this time, Repeater had already gone beyond where I was seated. I was informed he’d asked about me… (yeah, I must admit a little bit of “In-Yo-Face-ism” ran through my mind with that tid bit of information. *Ya can’t ban the Snowman!... lol) So…yeah…I’m feeling good right about now.

~Toodles!

No comments: